5 Tips to Help Heal from Autoimmune Diseases
5 Dietary Tips to Help Improve Your Gut & Heal From Autoimmune Disease
March is National Autoimmune Diseases Awareness Month and since I have been recently diagnosed with Hashimotos and Hypothyroidism I thought this would be the perfect time to talk about the POWER OF FOOD!
There are more than 80 types of autoimmune diseases and 23.5 million people in the USA suffer from them and that number rises every day.
Symptoms of AI diseases can be:
- Skin Issues
- Weight Gain
- Thyroid Conditions
When you have an autoimmune disease it means that your immune system has begun to attach parts of your own body. Although no one knows exactly what causes it, they do know that it typically starts with intestinal permeability (aka Leaky Gut). You can read more about Leaky Gut on Dr. Axe’s site.
The food you eat also has a HUGE impact on your gut and can help improve your condition. Here are 5 dietary tips that you can make to help heal from autoimmune disease:
- Eliminate Processed Foods – the gut can’t heal with these foods so stay away from packaged and processed foods, especially with syrups, white flour, and refined oils.
- Eat more Plant-based Foods – veggies and fruits are where it’s at!
- Eliminate Added Sugars – read labels and avoid products where there is added sugar and stick to the sugars that are found naturally in foods, like fruit.
- Fermented Foods are a game changer – fermented foods contains good bacteria which are great for the gut; try sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha.
- Include proteins & healthy fats & oils – Add in some healthy organic protein with your plant-based foods and incorporate healthy fats and oils like avocado, avocado oil, coconut oil and nuts & seeds too.
On a personal note – I just had my lab tests come back and my gut is healed and strong! I highly recommend seeing a functional medicine doctor (often found working out of chiropractic offices) and running some blood tests to check for any and all imbalances. To keep my gut strong I follow the following protocol: