The holiday season is fast approaching and this year our family will be celebrating with gluten-free foods! Since we will be having company I thought it would be a good idea to start trying out turkey and stuffing recipes now. Today’s turkey recipe is perfect for a small family or couple - but the real star is the stuffing. This stuff is AMAZING!
Turkey Breast with Apple Sausage Stuffing
A delicious turkey and gluten-free stuffing recipe for the holidays!
- 8 oz bulk pork sausage
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 shallot, chopped finely
- 1 celery stalk, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts or walnuts
- 1/2 tsp rubbed sage, divided
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp dairy-free margarine, softened
- 1 boneless turkey breast (4-5 pounds), thawed
- 1 cup chicken broth
Preheat oven to 325°.
In large skillet, add sausage, apple, shallot, and celery and cook over medium-high heat until sausage is done. Drain fat. Stir in nuts, 1/4 tsp each of sage, salt, and pepper. Transfer stuffing to roasting pan and place rack on top of stuffing. Pour chicken broth into pan.
In small bowl, mix together butter and remaining sage, salt & pepper and spread over turkey breast skin. Place turkey on rack and roast according to package instructions. After one hour, baste chicken with broth and return to oven for remaining cooking time.
Allow turkey to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Add 4-6 sage leaves under the turkey breast skin for added flavor.
- You may substitute olive oil for margarine.
- Don’t have a rack and roasting pan set? Don’t worry! I wrapped two of my son’s wooden blocks in tinfoil and placed a cookie cooling rack on top. Voila! A homemade roasting set!
- Traditional Roast Turkey, Dressing & Gravy
- Turkey Breast & Stuffing
- Cranberry Applesauce
- Garlic Cauliflower Mash
- Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Gluten-Free Apple Pie